Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Hospital Trip {TMI Warning}

Well, where to start. Let's start at 6:40 AM when I woke up with very painful cramps. My first thought? "Man, I sure didn't miss these period cramps..." I couldn't even get up, so I just stayed in bed suffering through the pain. Thank goodness it only lasted about 20 seconds.

Trying not to wake the hubs, I wiggled out of bed to go to the bathroom and get something to eat - my normal morning routine. It was only a few years ago that I didn't wake up before 10 AM on the weekends and now I couldn't sleep past 7:30 on a good day.

After I finish eating a bowl of cereal, another cramp comes along. On a scale of 1-10, it was definitely an 8. This one, too, only lasted about 20 seconds. I didn't really think anything of it, until another one came along roughly 10 minutes later. Matthan was still sleeping, so I did what any other panicking woman would have done. I texted my mom.

She recommended that I call the on-call nurse just to be safe. I was reluctant at first, because it was early on a Sunday morning and I didn't want to disturb anyone. I know they're on-call for a reason, but still! So, I woke up Matthan, told him what was going on, and called the nurse. She said we should go to the hospital to get checked out, just as a precaution.

Great. Just the way I wanted to spend my Sunday, especially because I would miss general conference! :(

We packed up computers, chargers and other forms of entertainment since we didn't know how long we would be there. The hospital I will deliver at is only about 10 minutes away so it's not like Matthan couldn't run home if we forgot anything. 

We didn't know this, but part of the hospital was undergoing some construction. We parked in the nearest parking garage that we came to and Matthan, thinking he was being considerate, thought he would be nice and park next to the elevator. It wasn't until we got out of the car that he noticed the out of order sign on the door. We were on the second floor so the walk down the stairs wan't terribly long. Now the walk to the Labor and Delivery section, which happened to be on the other side of the hospital, was longer than I anticipated.

Since it was early on a Sunday morning, there was practically no one at the hospital (patients I mean, there was plenty of staff). Check didn't take that long, but since I haven't been there before they had to get me registered. I got my wrist bands and Matthan got his name tag and we were sent down a few halls to our room.

After I changed into my fashionable gown, I got on the bed and thought to myself, "Wow, this bed is actually really comfortable!" Little did I know that I would be in that bed for the next 3 and a half hours...

My nurse was great! She was super sweet and helpful. She hooked me up to the monitor so we could hear the baby's heart beat and figure out was going on inside of me. Lo and behold, I was having contractions. Some pretty gnarly ones too! When I said I felt like one was coming on, the nurse said, "Yep, I can see it happening through your gown." That's how intense they were. There was one specific contraction that came up on the monitor that reminded me of A mountain. I wish we would have gotten a picture of that...

This is early on when I first got hooked up so not much activity. Blue is Abby's heart beat and green is my contractions.

After about 45 minutes, the nurse said she wanted to do a preterm labor test. Being a first time mom, I wasn't familiar with this. I now know that it requires the nurse to check to see if my cervix is dilated. She warned me that I was going to feel a lot of pressure, but jeez! Ouch! She did another test to see if there was a certain specimen indicating that I was in preterm labor. We had to wait a little over an hour and a half for the results, which felt like forever! What did I do to pass the time? I watched conference on the hubs computer.

 The nurse came in and told us that the test result was negative - HALLELUJAH! No preterm labor for this mommy. That was a big relief, and I got a shot of terbutaline, medicine that knocks out contractions, but the nurse said that little Abby wasn't responding like she should be. Her heart rate was lower than the norm, and we could tell that the nurse was getting a little anxious. (Sorry mom, dad told us not to tell you the scary parts!) She wanted to keep us longer to monitor the heart rate. She used this little vibrating device to try and stimulate the little bugger to see if she would respond. 

We then waited and waited until Abby's little heart rate got back up but in the meantime, my head started feeling really warm. I knew one of the wonderful side effects of the medicine was shakiness, which was tolerable, but I wasn't sure what was going on. The nurse periodically came in to check my temperature, and this time it was 99.6. She didn't seem too concerned about it, but still wanted to keep monitoring the heart rate.

I started burping a lot, but only the little baby burps. Not a big deal. But then they started to be liquidy and foamy. Matthan got me one of those lovely pink tubs to spit out the yummy goodness. By this time, my body was really cold and shaking (mostly from the medicine) and my head felt like it was on fire. Yes, I managed to attempt to sing, "My head is on fire!". Matthan got a kick out of that. I was trying to stay positive for his sake when in reality I was miserable.

Not 5 minutes later, I puked up my dinner from the night before. It smelled awful. After it all came up, I naturally felt better. A lot better. We buzzed for the nurse and she came to see how I was doing. I was doing just peachy - I just threw up, I have a fever, and I feel like poo. **Hint the sarcasm** She got me a tooth brush and toothpaste so I could freshen up. Thank goodness. And finally, little Abby's heart rate was back up to normal. She was just in a deep sleep. 

After I brushed my teeth and got dressed, the nurse said she wanted to do an ultrasound just to check to see if everything was okay on the inside. Of course, everything was peachy keen. Little Abigail has moved into position for when she'll make her appearance into this world. 

When we got home, I was still really weak from the medication and still had a fever. We kept track of my fever, which topped out at 100.1. I was nervous because it wasn't going down even after taking the extra strength Tylenol that the nurse gave, but eventually it went back to normal. She put me on the BRAT diet (banana, rice, applesauce, tea) but I'm not sure how long she wanted me on it. I've just been taking it really easy on the flavorful foods. After a much needed nap and hours of a cold rag on my forehead, I felt good enough to eat something. I thought that a banana, some strawberries and a yogurt would suffice. I threw it up an hour and a half later.

So long story short, I'm on bed rest for a while until things get back to normal. I'm feeling much better, but still feel weak. Hopefully we won't have another scare like this one! She still has a little less than 12 week to cook! Big thanks to my wonderful husband who dropped everything to take care of me Sunday and yesterday, and probably the rest of the week knowing him. I know I'm late on a baby update, but this kind of counts, right? Don't worry, I'll probably post the weekly facts tomorrow.


  1. IO am glad she is okay and you too. That is a scary thing to go through and 12 weeks early too. I hope things continue to improve and the rest of the pregnancy is uneventful!

  2. So so glad you are both ok. Not sure if I'm glad or mad you didn't tell me the extra scary part. Would be nice to know what to specifically pray for ;) love you so much!! <3